The BLAST (Blue Light Alternative Strategy for Teenagers) program was originally developed by New Zealand Blue Light. Blue Light Victoria has adopted and further developed the program to be run specifically at the Victorian Blue Light Youth Camp in Maldon. The program is flexible in that it can be easily adapted and planned to address specific issues that young people are facing. The basic program is a 2 night/ 3 day camp for small groups of up to 20 young people of both genders.
All camps are run with strong police involvement to encourage positive relationships between young people and police and form a part of ongoing support and engagement.
- build trust levels with others
- learn strategies for problem solving
- increase self confidence
- set goals for the future
- experience being trustworthy
- learn about teamwork
- learn about the importance of asking for support when required
- experience being successful in overcoming challenges
- have the opportunity to think of mistakes as learning situations
- learn the importance of breaking skill acquisition into small chunks