Blue Light Victoria is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information which the organisation collects, holds and administers. Personal information is information which directly or indirectly identifies a person.
The purpose of this document is to provide a framework for Blue Light Victoria in dealing with privacy considerations.
Blue Light Victoria collects and administers a range of personal information for the purposes of employee and volunteer screening (police checks), maintaining contact with branch organisers, volunteers and registered website members. The organisation is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information it collects, holds, administers and disposes of.
Blue Light Victoria recognises the essential right of individuals to have their information administered in ways which they would reasonably expect – protected on one hand, and made accessible to them on the other. These privacy values are reflected in and supported by our core values and philosophies.
Blue Light Victoria is bound by laws which impose specific obligations when it comes to handling information. The organisation has adopted the following principles contained as minimum standards in relation to handling personal information.
Blue Light Victoria and its branches will:
- Collect only information which the organisation requires for its primary function;
- Ensure that stakeholders are informed as to why we collect the information and how we administer the information gathered;
- Use and disclose personal information only for our primary functions or a directly related purpose, or for another purpose with the person’s consent;
- Store personal information securely, protecting it from unauthorised access; and
- Provide stakeholders with access to their own information, and the right to seek its correction.