Tatura Blue Light – Committee Member
Tatura Blue Light runs regular dance events from Victory Hall for 6 to 13 year olds. Each event is run by Police and volunteers. The branch is run by a voluntary committee.
The role of a general committee member is to provide support to the President, Secretary and other General Committee members to ensure the branch sets and meets its goals and objectives, is administered according to the Club Rules and completes all legal and compliance obligations.
The general responsibilities of committee members are wide and varied and may include, but certainly not limited to the following responsibilities.
To successfully undertake the role of a committee member they should:
- Be well informed of all club activities, especially those of all sub committees
- Have a good working knowledge of the constitution, club rules and by laws, policies and procedures as well as the duties of all office holders
- Have an understanding of the legal and compliance obligations of running the club
Committee members generally contribute to the development, definition and delivery of the following club activities and responsibilities:
- Culture and behaviors
- Goals and objectives and documented strategies and implementation plans on how they will be achieved
- Identification and formulation of budgets and cash flow projections for the upcoming year
- Ensuring compliance and legislative obligations are meet
- Ensure the health and safety of all participants
- Ensure all complaints and disputes are immediately investigated and responded to according to policies and procedures
- Volunteers are trained and supported throughout the year to undertake their roles successfully
- Assist the President and Secretary in their duties as required.
- Undertake tasks at the request of the president or General Committee.
- Undertake portfolios specified by Committee members
Participating in Meetings
Attending and actively participating and contributing in committee meetings is a core function of a committee member.
Essential Skills and Requirements
- Dedicated person
- Ability to provide calculated opinion in group discussions at committee meetings
- Outgoing personality
- Effective communicator
- Be discreet and able to maintain confidentiality on relevant matters
- Hold or willing to apply for a current volunteer “working with children” check
- Hold or willing to apply for a National Police Check
General Committee members are expected to:
• Act in the best interest of the members at all times
• Attend all Committee meetings
• Undertake the role in good faith and honesty
If at any stage the committee member becomes aware of a personal conflict of interest, real or perceived between themselves and the branch, they should immediately notify the President of the conflict who will immediately inform all other committee members.
End of year hand over
Updating key documents
At the end of each year a key activity of the General Committee will review and revise their position description to ensure it continues to reflect the requirements of the role. The updated Position Description must be provided to the Secretary prior to the Annual General Meeting each year.
Induction of the incoming Committee Members
An important responsibility of outgoing General Committee member is to train, mentor and support the incoming General Committee members.
The estimated time commitment required as a General Committee Member is 2 hours per week.